By Jessica Newcomer, Publisher of Macaroni Kid York
Oct 4, 2017
Here are a few pumpkin carving tips and tricks!
1. Bigger pumpkins are easier to carve. Lighter skin pumpkins are softer and easier to cut. Avoid pumpkins with bruises or mold on their stems.
2. When cutting the pumpkin lid, make sure you cut on an angle so that the outside of the lid is larger than the inside. If you cut straight down, the lid will fall into the pumpkin.
3. When scooping out the inside, consider saving the seeds. They make a healthy treat!
4. It’s easier to scoop out the insides with an ice cream scoop. Make sure the walls are clean and about 1 inch thick.
5. Start with simple designs before moving on to advanced designs.
6. Templates are perfect for creating designs. Tape your template to your pumpkin to make it easier to follow the design. You can also use a pin to puncture holes along the design and then use a sharp tool to connect the dots.
7. You can line the inside of your pumpkin and around the design with petroleum jelly. This will keep the pumpkin fresh for longer and prevent mold.
8. If you are going to use a candle to illuminate your pumpkin, consider putting a hole in the top of your lid to act as a chimney. Remember never leave a candle burning unattended.
9. Consider using flameless candles. With dry leaves and trick-or-treaters an open flame could lead to disaster.