October 2018 News
Are you subscribed to our e-Newsletters?!? Scroll to the footer of our site to sign up!
A Message from the Healthy Talbot Facilitator
Boots, Hoodies, Pumpkin Spice (everything)… Fall is here and there are big changes coming to Healthy Talbot! The first is that we’re going to have a completely redesigned website coming in mid-October. We are so excited to have our new site up and running! The second is that we’ve spent countless hours updating Healthy Talbot’s Family Resource Guide for it’s next Edition.
We’re also looking forward to some awesome local events scheduled this month including the Fall Family Dinner at Easton Elementary and the annual Boonanza Halloween event at the Talbot County Community Center later this month. Make sure to stop by our table for some ghoulishly good treats!
Be on the lookout for our Halloween Costume Contest on our Facebook page – coming soon! Winner’s will be gifted a simply fang-tastic reward.
Have a Happy Halloween everyone!
For most children, October means one thing: Halloween candy. For orthodontists, it’s a month for embracing a beautiful, healthy smile in honor of National Orthodontic Health Month.
The American Association of Orthodontist has offered five timely tips to protect braces, aligners and other orthodontic “appliances” while protecting teeth from decay you can give to your patients.
- Avoid sticky situations with your braces and aligners. Stay away from hard, sticky, crunchy or chewy candy and snacks. These include caramel, gummies, licorice, taffy, bubblegum (even the sugarless kind), jelly beans and soft drinks.
- Say “boo” to hard treats – including hard-shelled peanut candies, nuts or nut-filled candies, taco chips and popcorn (especially unpopped kernels). And whether in orthodontic treatment or not, we advise that no one should ever chew ice.
- Brush up! Sweets can cause cavities, which means brushing and flossing are more important than ever during the Halloween season. Orthodontic patients should be especially vigilant about brushing and flossing after consuming sugary or starchy foods.
- Spooktacular news: Not all Halloween candy is off-limits. Good alternatives include soft chocolates, peanut butter cups or other melt-in-your-mouth varieties. The American Association of Orthodontists even offers orthodontic-friendly recipes for Halloween on its website at https://www.aaoinfo.org/practice-management/market-your-practice/orthodontic-health-month/handouts-and-recipes.
- Make a commitment to oral health. Deciding to avoid hard and chewy sweets before the Halloween season increases your rate of success – and reduces the likelihood that you’ll break braces.
…and check out all the other awareness campaigns happening this month below:
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Down Syndrome Awareness Month
- Healthy Lung Month
- Liver Cancer Awareness Month
- Lupus Awareness Month
- National Spina Bifida Awareness Month
- Rett Syndrome Awareness Month
- SIDS Awareness Month
Special Events: October
October 4 – Fall Family Dinner – Easton Elementary
October 4 – Pet Loss Support Group – Talbot Hospice
October 4 – Chesapeake Book Club: Beautiful Swimmers – Talbot Co. Library
October 5 – BINGO! – Easton Volunteer Fire Department
October 6 – 2nd Annual Long Walk Home – Talbot Interfaith Shelter
October 6 – Tiny Tunes! – Coastal Retreat
October 6 – Alpha Youth Series – Christ Church
October 11-14 – Chesapeake Film Festival – Avalon Theater
October 12 – BINGO! – Easton Volunteer Fire Department
October 13 – 9th Annual Bark in the Park – Talbot Humane Society
October 13 – Fairyfest – Adkins Arboretum
October 13 – 3rd Annual Family Fun Day – Care Packs of Talbot
October 13 – Triple T Trail of Terror – Triple Creek Winery
October 13 – Variety for Veterans – Mid Shore Recovery Veterans
October 16 – Refuse to Be a Victim Seminar – SSEI
October 20 – Bus Tour: Harriet Tubman’s Journey to Freedom
October 20-21 – Fall into St. Michaels – Town of St. Michaels
October 25 – Elder Law Legal Clinic – Mid Shore Pro Bono
October 25 – Boonanza – Talbot County Parks and Rec
October 26 – Play Group – Judy Center
October 26 – BINGO! – Easton Volunteer Fire Department
Choptank Community Health Systems
Back 2 School Health Tips